Sunday, November 24, 2013

Eating out of the trash

August 1st 2013

I am 6 days into this "fast" of eating on $1 a day and now that I am feeling a bit better (not so sick anymore), I am getting hungry - I can't say that its the "I'm truly starved for nutrients" kind of hunger - I am not sure I would even know what that was - the closest thing I can imagine to what that might feel like would be times of hunger when I was pregnant. Toward the end of my pregnancies, there were times when I felt like I was in a "hostile takeover" situation and if I did not eat at that moment, it was not going to be pretty! As those close to me can attest, when I said, "I need eat," I meant NOW and it had an urgent feel to it. But the hunger I am feeling in the midst of this is not even that - its a "my stomach is growling" kind of hunger - uncomfortable, but not life-threatening. And I know a reprieve is coming - Saturday night - Sunday night is a 24 hour feast day. But right now, I feel hungry a good part of the day. Yesterday, in the midst of my feeling "hungry," I surprised even myself as I watched someone throw half of a perfectly good hamburger into the trash. As I watched, I thought to myself, "I could eat that. It would taste good and it has lots of protein." I didn't do it, but I thought about it! Maybe for the first time ever, I can imagine a scenario in which I would be willing to eat out of the garbage. I don't want to ever have to do that - so why do I find it acceptable that others have to do that? That one is going to take some chewing on....

No comments:

Post a Comment